The SUVs that have been popular for a very long time now have moved into being car-like models that suit a lot of driving enthusiasts these days. SUVs are fuel-efficient and stand out as being the best models for off-roading activities. Crossovers, as the acronym stands for, is a duo of SUV and hatchback, and these have increasingly gained popularity over the last decade.
Until a few years ago, SUVs and crossovers had major differences in style and functioning. With the advent of technology, it’s now getting difficult to distinguish between the two as many companies market their CUVs as compact SUVs. Let’s look at the major differences between SUVs and crossovers, along with their benefits, in this article.
Advantages of CUVs or crossovers
- They offer better handling capabilities and smooth driving experience.
- They are lightweight, which leads to them being much more fuel-efficient.
- CUVs have better road visibility because of their high and upright seating level.
- They have more luggage space.
Advantages of SUVs
- They have a seating capacity of more than 5 people.
- They have an excellent mileage.
- SUVs are safer as compared to CUVs.
- They are amazing for off-road activities.
- The third row in SUVs can be converted to cargo space as well, giving more trunk space.
Disadvantages of CUVs
- Crossovers are less aerodynamic as compared to a sedan.
- The fuel costs are higher as compared to normal sedans.
- Some CUVs have lower towing abilities as compared to sedans.
- CUVs are budgeted vehicles, so traction availability systems like AWD, traction control, and stability are all add ons that you need to ask the company for. So, you have to probably change the tires during winters or get it done much earlier.
Disadvantages of SUVs
- They have high fuel consumption.
- They are heavier than CUVs.
- The vehicle, as well as the parts, are expensive.
- They make it difficult for pets and children to get into the car unaided.
- Their body and frame structure are easier to change during a collision, making it highly susceptible to damage.
The best part about the automobile industry is that CUVs or crossovers are hybrid and compact versions of SUVs and hatchbacks, and you can customize your requirements based on your interests. Looking at the advantages and disadvantages of SUV and crossovers highlighted the major differences between the two. We can also see the role of marketing in how crossovers are sold as crossover sports cars or crossover sedans. While planning to buy an SUV or crossover, analyze daily requirements like whether you need a family-driven car, an adventure-driven car, or one for daily use. If it’s for daily use, CUVs could be a better choice as they are compact SUVs. Also, they do not have a truck chassis that makes it almost important to park in a smaller space if you live in condos and not in an independent house.